Monday, March 10, 2008

I have shingles...and I don't mean on my roof!

Right before Gregg left for Florida last week, I told him my skin really hurt right below my armpit. I had him look at it, as I was sure he would see a rash, or at the very least, some rough skin. He said he saw absolutely nothing....so I decided to just treat it with some lotion, hoping that would ease the pain. Throughout the week, the pain never changed and the lotion didn't seem to help at all. Every time I rolled over in my sleep, I could feel the pain in that particular area. But I was stumped as to what it was, and thought for sure that it would be feeling better soon.


Over the weekend, I told my mom and my sister about it and asked them to look at the area too. I was in need of a second and third opinion. They concurred with Gregg's "there is nothing really there" diagnosis, but my mom did mention the word "shingles" in passing.


I decided to stop complaining about it and go see the doctor today. After describing to him that I feel like I have a sunburn just below my armpit, he looked at the area, and said, "I am pretty sure you have shingles. Wow!! That was a shocker! I tried to think of all the necessary questions I should be asking him, but they weren't coming as quickly as I hoped.


The internet sites have a lot of information about shingles, but most of them have pictures of older people on them....leading me to believe that I have an "senior" virus. And to add even more "spice" to our lives, we just learned that a water main broke down the road and we could be without water for the next two days. That would have made things really interesting if that had happened while our company was here. Lots of fun right now at the Hesterhome! God is still good!

Post a Comment