Saturday, March 22, 2008

Beware of the Navy Blue Suit Coat- SKG Date #4





Today, Hopie and I went to the Columbus Art Museum for our 4th Secret Keeper Girl Date. While all dates are important with SKG, this date is key in the series as it concentrates on the reasons why it is essential to dress modestly. We had a wonderful time together and she handled the period pieces of art (especially European) very maturely, and I was proud of her for that. I remember when I did this date with Faith, it was a little uncomfortable for me to talk about all I needed to with her. I think I did a better job the second time around as I realize even more now how incredibly important it is to combat the world's messages about their purity and to focus on The Truth.


There was a peculiar thing about the Art Museum today. In every room, there is a chair set up in the corner, with an elderly man or woman, dressed in a navy blue suit coat sitting there...complete with walkie-talkie, of course. In my love for old people, I tried to converse with them, just saying "hello" as we walked to the next room. They sit there very stoically, as if they are also a piece of artwork in the room. They smile briefly, yet politely, and say nothing. I wonder if it is breaking official "Art Museum" etiquette to say "hi" to these people. I imagine them making a reach for the walkie-talkie and saying "Newbie alert in Gallery #4. You can't miss her. She will be the one foolishly saying "hello" to all navy blue suit coats sitting in the corner." I simply just wanted to acknowledge their presence there. I mean honestly, how exciting can that job be? I was just trying to spice it up for them a little. By Gallery #7, I was getting the message "loud and clear."



And the fun didn't stop there. I must have been really making a name for myself, and it wasn't for my artwork. I wanted to commemorate my date with Hopie by taking a few pictures of her near some artwork. Not by anything too famous like a Monet or a Warhol. Just by an unknown.....to me, that is. I had taken two pictures of her and was getting ready to take a third, when out of nowhere (I think the navy blue suit coats have secret panels in the museum that they slide in and out of to attack the perpetrator), I was confronted by a suit coat and told sternly, "No flash photography, mam." "I am so sorry," I sheepishly replied. My ultimate rule follower, Hope Elizabeth, was embarrassed and it was time to go home anyway. I could sense the Navy Blue Suitcoats' relief as we swiftly made our way to the parking lot. I am sure there was a formal announcement on the walkie talkies as we departed. "All art museum employees may now relax, and return to your assigned chair posts. She and her poor little innocent daughter are now gone." Whew!!! At least I made an exciting afternoon for them.



**How much do you want to bet that Hopie only remembers how her mother got in trouble at the Art Museum that day, and nothing about the information her mother was so concerned about communicating with her? I hope I am so wrong on this one.

Post a Comment