Sunday, March 16, 2008

Hesterfamily hears a Horton

Yesterday, we took the girls to see "Horton hears a Who." It kind of surprised me how much they wanted to see it....being 10 and 12, you know. But they still love cartoons, and I can't say that bothers me a bit. In all the recent sightings we have had that the teenage years are staring us squarely in the face, it was comforting to know cartoons and "G" rated movies still score big with our girls. I don't have a problem with that at all. I am savoring every "kid" moment I have left.



After the movie, which was worth seeing by the way, we headed over to Barnes and Noble, so Hopie could use her gift card. Barnes and Noble has so many things that are tempting to me. I love their cool bookmarks, unusual stationary, and of course, their books abound. It didn't take long for Hopie to pick out two Nancy Drew books to add to her collection. We decided to do something completely out of the ordinary for the Hesterfamily, and grab a few trendy drinks from the in-store Starbucks, strategically placed by the magazine section. These drinks cost almost as much as our movie tickets did. Of course, they aren't expecting a family of 4 to sit and sip on Starbucks in their little cafe', so we had a hard time finding a place for all of us to sit. We split up...2 and 2...and watched our girls giggle, share in conversation, and slurp every last drop of their over-priced drink, at a nearby table. They looked so much like little young women sitting at that round table...purses placed on top, with their legs crossed, flipping their hair to their shoulders as to ensure it wouldn't get wrapped around their straws. For a moment, I envisioned what it will be like for them to enjoy their relationship (currently "not-so-treasured") as adult women and how important little "Starbucks outings" will be to them in their future. While it pained us a little to think of them that way, it also brought joy to Gregg and I in knowing that they will always be one another's "special presents."


**When the girls were little, I would always tell them how they were each other's "special presents." This became good terminology to use when they began their season of sisterly spats, and needed to be reminded of their value to one another. Has it worked 100% of the time? NO! But I think they will 100% "get it" one of these days.

Post a Comment