Saturday, August 23, 2008

Rounding the Finish Line



I am nearing the finish line in my "Whispers of Hope" prayer journal and I have mixed feelings. What was meant to be a 10 week journey has taken me 6 months to complete, and I am not at all ashamed. I used to be so methodical about my quiet time with God, and in this second time going through the journal, I have allowed myself to be more "organic." (Like that??) Unfortunately, with finishing anything like this, you can be left with the frightening conclusion of "now what?" I have enjoyed this format so much....it fits me like a glove. Looking up various passages of scripture, learning a little more about it from Beth, then praying about what you learned and other things with God....it's just such a fantastic way to start the day. But there are no more "Whispers of Hope" journals for me to go through. She never did another one in this format....but I don't think I am left empty-handed.

Beth has a few "Personal Reflections" devotionals out that just might be perfect for my next choice. She has one on David...one on Jesus...and her newest one is about John. The format is a 90 day journal "journey," sprinkled with teachings from her studies on the subject. I think this is something I would really like to do. Problem is....I would really like to do this with someone else at the same time.

One of the things that I wished throughout my "Whispers of Hope" journey, was that there was someone out there doing it too. Someone who might not have been on the same day I was, (honestly...who could have waited through it that long?) but was very familiar with what I was learning and being challenged with. It would have been neat to go to them and say..."So, what did you think of Day 57?? That was a doozy! (BTW, that day really was a doozy. I feel so challenged by it, I am not sure I can do it. It is an "Olympic" size God-task for me. But see my dilemma?? I can't talk with any one about it. I would bore them silly.)

So...maybe you are at a point in your "Quiet Time" where you are wanting to "kick it up a notch." Maybe you are just looking for something new to "spice it up" but you weren't sure what that would look like. Maybe this is the very thing you are looking for. I was wondering if anyone would like to start one of these with me. You can absolutely do it at your own pace. In fact, I can almost promise you that you will finish it before me. (If you are a competitive person unlike myself :), you might like that.) I am not sold out to any one of them...they are all fine by me. But if you see one that you would like to do, let me know. I will be starting one in approximately 13 days. Want to join me?

Post a Comment