Friday, August 22, 2008

Jesus in '08??


I like to catch up on the morning's news with USA TODAY.com. Sometimes, I catch the TODAY show...but it has its time constraints, and the top stories are always readily available on the Internet. I only read two sections of USA TODAY...both in paper and .com form. I have always been that way. First, I peruse the TOP stories, then I go over to the LIFE section. I am a creature of habit, very predictable.

The LIFE section has an article today regarding a new book coming out
entitled "American Savior." The teaser (What if Jesus returned to Earth and ran for president?) intrigued me. I was curious to see who was publishing this book...was it someone "making fun" of Jesus or poking at political conservatives? Or was it a Christian writer attempting to be creative during this somewhat "boring" election season? I'm still not sure...even after reading the article.

I thought for more insight on the book, I would scroll down to the comments portion of the article to see what people were saying. If you have ever glanced at the comments section on USA TODAY.com, you might be disturbed by what you read. Even the most positive articles (and there aren't many of those)can generate some pretty appalling comments. But what struck me today were these comments:

"What is this obsession about Jesus? He is obviously an amalgamation of other savior gods around that time."

"Religion, ALL RELIGION, is the biggest fraud ever perpetrated by man against man."

And my favorite:

"In my opinion, Jesus wouldn't be that stupid to run for president." This one, I tend to agree with...at times. :)

I looked at the pseudo-names of the people who wrote these comments, and my heart went out. I can remember clearly when I wanted nothing to do with God, when I believed whole-heartedly that He was out to get me. I know how dark, black, and empty life is without God, and how incredibly difficult it is to see God for who He really is. I wondered where these people live. Do they have anyone around them who is trying to share THE TRUTH with them? Or are they alone in their unknown emptiness?

Sometimes in my social circles, I forget how many people out there don't know Christ...don't want to know Christ. In all honesty, sometimes I lose sight of the fact that I was once one of them...that without God grabbing me when He did, I would still be there. But I am grateful to God for the gift of memory...because I think He uses it to remind me of who I was and what a different life I have because of His presence. Jesus just wouldn't have time to be president, with the needy Hesterwoman around.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/reviews/2008-08-20-savior_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Post a Comment