Wednesday, August 6, 2008

In your ipod dreams


Here is a blast from the past. Does the name Glenn Miller ring a bell?? This morning, I heard Hopie and her friend running down the hallway, heading straight for her room. "Want to listen to my ipod?" she asked. Her ever-agreeable friend said, "Sure." (I love those "in depth" conversations my daughter has with her friends. Straight and to the point. Cracks me up! No convincing needed. No calendars to match up. Just simple friendship.) Out of all the songs on her ipod, she chose Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" to share with her friend. I heard them bouncing up and down on the bed saying, "I love this one, I love this one." They hummed different parts together, mimicking the unusual mix of his music. After it was over, I heard Hopie ask, "Would you like to listen to 'String of Pearls?" and then "Have you ever seen The Glenn Miller Story?" I smiled to myself and thought, "Would Glenn Miller have ever believed his music would still be enjoyed some 60 years later...by two 10 year olds in Columbus, Ohio...who above all other musical selections chose to listen to his 'special sound' this morning????"

While the world wants you to believe all 10 year old girls are interested in is Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers (who are they anyway??), I was delighted to hear that my girl desires a little more substance in her ipod library. And I bet Glenn Miller would have been too!

Post a Comment