Thursday, August 28, 2008

Fidelity and Facebook




I feel like I have been "cheating" on my blog lately... because I sensed "guilt" when I clicked on her this morning. You know that feeling when you realize you have been spending a lot more time with one friend over another? I want to explain to my blog...."Listen, I have this new "friend" in my life. You really should meet her. I know you would like her too. She has all these things that are soooo cool about her. She has flair...she has online friends... she is easy to chat with...she's fun to be around. I will have to introduce her to you. We can hang out together." I can almost imagine my blog responding with an unenthusiastic "Great..." and leaving it at that. I never realized how jealous she can be.

My sister tells me that the Facebook "newness" will wear off....but it doesn't seem to be happening for me and that scares me. Does Facebook cater to the weaknesses/strengths of my personality....my extroverted tendencies....my love for having people around me? In addition to that, my husband hates when I am on FACEBOOK. He thinks it is a complete waste of time. But I have really enjoyed connecting with people I haven't spoken with in a while. It is a great vehicle for that. And to top it all off, the Flair is so cute.

But one question keeps playing over and over in my mind about Facebook. Doesn't anybody ever worry about saying something on someone's wall....or posting something on your status...or sending them a piece of flair... that might make them mad? Maybe they won't understand the thought behind it. Maybe they won't get the joke. Maybe they will read too much into your "status" at the time, and think there is more behind it than what you are really stating. I don't know, maybe it's just me...but I wonder how many "facebook fights" have started because of something said which wasn't meant to be seen by the whole "community of friends." Is it just my feeble almost 40 year old brain that has concerns with wondering where a comment is going, or who's eyes are seeing it? Maybe that is just a risk one takes by participating in it.

I say all this somewhat satirically...but I have wondered about this from time to time since becoming familiar with Facebook. I know what my blog is thinking right now. She is sitting there going, "See...you should have just stayed with little old me. You didn't worry about all that stuff when you were hanging out with me. Oh sure, sometimes you thought something you wrote might be potentially offensive, but you didn't dwell on it that much. Maybe I wasn't so bad after all, hmmmmmmm??????"

Post a Comment