Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Pray without ceasing


Have you ever prayed to the point of exhaustion?

Have you ever felt your "prayer muscles" deeply ache from being stretched, strained, and pulled?

Have you ever reached the point when you bowed your head one more time, and just called out the name "Father," because that was all you had left within you?

Currently, I am going through something very painful that includes a large group of people around me whom I love and care for beyond words. Because of that, I don't feel this is the forum to go into great depth about it. If it was just about me,(Wait a minute, I have always felt that "It's all about me!" :) ) I might pour my heart out here. However, this situation includes many hearts, and I want to be respectful of them. But when I go before God time and time again over the same matter, it seems as if my spiritual energy...even physical energy at times, is depleting. Almost as if the gas light has gone off on the dashboard, and the arm in the meter just barely hangs above "E."

What makes my prayers sometimes so exhausting? I think it is because I feel through my words with God. I choose carefully what I want to say to Him, as if He has no idea how I am processing things...as if He hasn't wired me Himself. I need to carefully walk Him through it so He "gets it." The other night, I went before God, and I could barely get the words out. I was just too emotional. My heart was in a pit of grief, and I needed Him to carry that burden for me through my words. Yet, I am reminded my words aren't that important to God. Here is what's comforting about that:

"Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves......"
Romans 8:26-27 The Message


Moving on.....

After a mutually restless night, a friend and I spent some time with one another yesterday. God has masterfully brought us together at this time to pray about some very serious matters. It's not as if it was on our agenda...not on our long range calendar to be together for those moments. It had been "random" to us...but not random to our God. I have prayed so much with her lately, I wouldn't be surprised if she tires of my voice. As we faced each other with yet another deeply heartfelt prayer concern, I threw myself physically on the couch, and said, "I am so tired of praying." As I peeled my lifeless form off the couch, I remembered the wise words of Paul in 1 Thessalonians 5:17, when he simply said, "Pray without ceasing." I am grateful for the encouragement of Paul, because I tend to want to run away and hide from any turmoil. "When the going gets tough, the "tough" (weak,really) wants to bolt." Praise God! He has me on a tight leash.

I think of the time when Jesus had to pray through the most excruciating circumstance. How much energy did He have to lift His Words to God? How many tears must have flowed as He petitioned His Father? How much did He desire to avoid the situation before Him, even though He knew God's Ultimate Plan?


“Abba, Father,” he cried out, “everything is possible for you. Please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.” Mark 14:36

Moments like these make me long for Heaven. All I dwell upon here is the "little" picture. But Heaven is the BIG picture, and thank God, He wants more for us than this.

Gotta run....must pray!!! :)

Post a Comment