Wednesday, August 20, 2008

More on Jerry....


Please don't think I am obsessed with Jerry Jenkins. I never write on the same subject 3 posts in a row....but I wanted to share a little bit more about my email conversation with him last week. My girls have been big fans of his series for kids entitled "Red Rock Mysteries." Even Faith, who considers herself "not a reader," (Strange...she is MY child, right??) was absorbed by the books. Jerry co-authored 15books in this series with Chris Fabry, and they are rapid "page turners"...just like his adult books.

When the girls finished Book 15, they were anxiously awaiting the next one, as they felt it ended in a cliff hanger. (Don't you just "love" when that happens?) They have waited, and waited, but nothing came out. So, since Jerry and I are so tight:), I thought I might take the opportunity to ask him about it through our conversation. He replied that the series is over...but in consolation, he offered to send the girls another series he wrote with Fabry (The Wormling Series) and he would even autograph the books for them.

You should have heard them squeal with delight when they opened the mailbox yesterday and found the books waiting for them. I could hear them running back to the house, package in hand, yelling, "Momma, Momma, they're here!!!!!" I praised God for the moment, because I love to see them excited about such pure things. Hopie is already tucked away in her room...and I imagine she will finished Book #1 today. Faith and I read some of it together yesterday, and I think I will "hold her hand" through the first few chapters of this book, until I can get her to read it on her own. So far, I have really enjoyed it.

I have been very impressed with how approachable and personable Jerry Jenkins has been with me and the girls. He is a class act and obviously wants to encourage reading amongst kids. Faith is excited about writing her own personal thank you note to him. I am looking forward to that too.

Post a Comment