Thursday, July 3, 2008

Bobbing back and forth


I love the trivial conversations I have with my sister. They aren't all trivial.... but with my sister, it is ok for me to have minutes, sometimes hours of "talk" with her where we don't solve the world's problems, and we don't debate whether I am "pre-trib" or "post-trib." Some of it is just light-hearted nothing, and I really appreciate that. For instance, I usually talk with her before I get my haircut....as if to get "clearance" from her before I do it. I wait for a haircut until I can't take it any longer, and sometimes my roots can be seen just tickling the tops of my ears. (Maybe not that bad, but who doesn't enjoy a little exaggeration.) You see, my sister is younger than me, (I know, it's hard to believe....I look so young), and I value what she has to say. She is hipper...trendier than myself. I have been counting on this service from her for years....since the first time she taught me to tease my bangs and shellac them with hairspray. And she doesn't charge me a cent for her guidance. (Although when she reads this, she might.)

I just saw my sister last week, which is always treasured time for me. We were driving around looking for garage sales (it is a huge mutual interest of ours), when I told her how much I needed a haircut (as if she hadn't noticed). I mentioned how I was considering getting one of those "bob" cuts. You know, the ones that look so cute on everyone that has them. And that is the problem. Everyone has them. So, my sister gave me strict instructions not to get one. "You can't get something that so many women already have." So, I tried to heed her warning. I knew she meant business.

Fast forward to yesterday, I am sitting impatiently waiting for my hair transformation, when my beloved hairdresser, beautician, coiffeuse, and wonderful friseur comes out to greet me. She apparently had just had a recent transformation herself.... TO THE BOB!!! And it looked adorable on her. Frantic thoughts ran through my head. "Will she try to convince me to get it too?" "What will she think of me when I tell her that my sister (a second born who should not be telling me how to do anything) told me I couldn't do it?" "Will she take it personally and think I don't like the haircut on her?" "Out of spite, will she cut my hair into a bob anyway, just to make a point?"

As she weaved me back to her station, she "cut" right to the chase. "What were you thinking for your hair today? Want something different? Need a change?" Gulping deeply, I said, "I am tired of my hair. You know I always am by the time I get in here to see you." She sighed, "Yes...I know how long you stretch the time between your haircuts. But never fear, I have a great idea....let's try this."


Sorry....must end here. Gotta be a mom again. Toodles!

Post a Comment