Thursday, November 6, 2008

Scandal in the Hesterhouse


I'm meeting a man in a hotel this weekend. He is a mysterious man and one whom I long to sneak away with. I have thought about him all week....my mind distracted by images of spending time with him. I talk openly about him with my husband. He knows all about him. He realizes I am going to see him, and there is nothing he can do to stop it. He is well aware that my thoughts have been centered around my rendezvous this weekend. He notices the smile on my face...the twinkle in my eye. I just can't hide it anymore.

The busyness of our lives has gotten in the way of feeling connected with my husband. We don't talk like we used to...spend much uninterrupted time together. So many things have gotten in the way of that. It's just not working anymore. It's what forces me to throw my inhibitions aside. It's why I just have to get away with the other man. I just feel so "alive" when I am with him.

I know others may judge me...but I don't care. They don't understand what draws me to this man. He is sensitive, caring. He listens to me. Makes me feel important, valuable. When we are alone, there is no one else in the world but us. Chaos could ensue around us, candidates could be elected whom we didn't necessarily vote for, gas prices could fall to $1.91 and we wouldn't notice. We are just that into each other.

If I could sneak away with this man more often, I would in a heartbeat. There is never enough time to be with him. There are so many "hoops" we must jump through to see one another. Sometimes, in the middle of the day, when my thoughts are all about him, I will evade my daily duties for the moment and text him a message for his eyes only. No one else has to know. My heart leaps when I hear my cell "chime" with announcement that I have received something back from him. It gives me sweet butterflies in my stomach.

I'm not stupid. I know this weekend won't last forever. I know that I will return to my cluttered calendar life once again....this "albatross" that keeps me from my love. In our encounter this weekend, I will ask him...beg him..."When can we see each other again?? This is just so hard. I don't know how much longer I can be without you." He will tell me that I have to be patient, let him get his life in order, remind me how much he is worth the wait. I will concede my emotions for yet another time...and hope beyond hope that we will be with one another again soon. I must be incredibly grateful for the time we have had together, and cling to the memories. And for a moment I will feel a kinship with Bill Shakespeare himself as he so eloquently penned the words of my heart over 400 years ago.... "Parting is such sweet sorrow."

**Side note- Just to clarify...this "other man" is my husband. :) After Gregg read this, he thought it would be important to mention this....just in case you had any doubt. :)

Post a Comment