Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Love, Grandpa-----the Old Vet


You've heard people often say "There is a first for everything." Usually said with a sarcastic tone, the statement gives hint to how much the person wished this "first" never happened in their life. But today, I whispered these words to myself with complete amazement and joy. You see, my "first for everything" is an email I received today from my 85 year old Grandpa. Let me say that again... I RECEIVED AN EMAIL FROM MY GRANDPA!!! To read words from his heart and his mind is such a rare gift to me. He took the time to reply to an email I sent him yesterday thanking him for his service to our country. His fingers touched the keyboard. His eyes glanced at the screen to make sure his "i's were dotted and his t's were crossed." He formulated words and sentences in his head to say to me. I never expected it. I never dreamt of a reply. But there the words sat on my screen...a modern day transaction of dialog between two different generations. What priceless value it has to me!!!!

Hopie had a Patriotic Celebration at school yesterday for Veteran's Day. All elementary students wore a red, white, or blue shirt to participate in the festivities. In advance, the school asked for pictures of vets we had in our family. I searched all over the house looking for my grandparent's wedding picture. It is the only picture I have of my grandpa in his Navy uniform. He is incredibly handsome in that picture. And I am not just saying that out of pride for him. He truly was a "hot number." You can just tell. I was so frustrated when I couldn't come upon the picture. Sure, I could have called my grandparents, asked them to send me a copy. But that would have taken too much time. How I wish I could have shared that proud man's picture with our elementary students! They may have looked at it and counted it as just another old picture. I don't blame them. It takes us so long to develop a true appreciation for the sacrifices of a veteran. I am even married to one and I take the price for granted. I wish we could be better than that. I wish we were beyond the instant patriotism that stems simply from occasionally hearing Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA." I wish it was still in our blood...part of our heritage as Americans. Instead, we have become proficient in the practice of slandering our leaders, our government, and our country. We have come so far....in the wrong direction. Oh, to have a clear understanding and untainted view of what it means to be truly patriotic and proud to be an American!!!!

"I remember when we were in school and at ll o'clock, we had to stand and be "silent" for a minute. Sure they don't do anything like that now.
Hope everything okay w/you and family."
Love, Grandpa-----the old Vet

Post a Comment