Thursday, October 30, 2008

Keen on the Kindle?

Dear Sir or Madam, will you read my book?
It took me years to write, will you take a look?
It's based on a novel by a man named Lear
And I need a job, so I want to be a "kindle"back writer,
"Kindle"back writer.
"Kindle"back writer...writer....writer.


-The Beatles


OK....I hate to admit this....but Oprah is on my TiVo schedule. Save your hate mail for later. :) I know I am an abomination to all that is pure and holy. But seriously, I don't watch everything that she has on. In fact, most of it, I just simply delete. I can tell by the title description of the show that it is something I just don't need in my brain, if you know what I mean. But earlier in the week, she had on her "Must Have Gadget Show" and because she introduced me to the wonder of SPANX, I just had to watch.

Much to the dismay of all paperback and hardback publishing companies, Oprah's praise for the "gadget of all gadgets" right now is the KINDLE. A kindle is a electronic device where you download all of your books onto it, instead of buying a paper version. You can buy the books in kindle form off of Amazon.com and they are apparently cheaper than their paper counterpart. It can hold up to 200 books as long as they are not illustrated. Imagine removing 200 books from the square footage of your home!!! Now that would really clear off the dusty bookshelves of the Hesterhome!!!!




Here is the Wikipedia definition of the Kindle for those electronic gurus in my audience who just couldn't stand my elementary description of the gadget:

Kindle is an e-book reader—an embedded system for reading electronic books (e-books)—launched in the United States by prominent online bookseller Amazon.com in November 2007. It uses an electronic paper display, reads the proprietary Kindle (AZW) format, and downloads content over Amazon Whispernet, which uses the Sprint EVDO network. (I like mine much better. :)


Since I have now decided I don't want an iphone for my pending 40th, I was wondering if I might like the Kindle instead. It does take my love for books to a whole new level. However, I don't know a single person I could ask who happens to have one (besides Oprah that is, and we aren't that close). Yet, something in me says "no" to the Kindle. I enjoy my trips to the library too much, and I love getting to check out the likability of books for free. It is only those dreaded overdue fees that I could do without. Besides, having the feeling of a new book in my hand is such a thrill for me. Could I really do without the intoxication of the "new book smell" just for the sake of being "hip" with a Kindle?? At this point, I think not. I am completely content with my books the way they are. Guess that makes me adverse to new technology...but what do you expect?? I am old. I am going to be 40.

It's a thousand pages, give or take a few,
I'll be writing more in a week or two.
I can make it longer if you like the style,
I can change it round and I want to be a "kindle"back writer,
"Kindle"back writer

Post a Comment