Sunday, September 21, 2008

Midwest Misnomer

One of my favorite ways of getting the news I want, when I want it, is using USATODAY.com... second only to my frequent scanning of the Drudge Report. Yesterday, as I was perusing the site, I inadvertently clicked on the LIFE section's POP Candy icon (mouse is very sensitive on the laptop), and was curious when I saw them highlighting what celebrities would look like if they were from the Midwest. "Hmmmmm, this ought to be interesting," I thought to myself. But after a second or two, it hit me... "WHAT'S WRONG WITH BEING FROM THE MIDWEST???" Apparently, a lot. See if this quote doesn't get your Midwest dander up:

"Since going to Orange County California every month for the past year, I have begun to realize that people in the Midwest are really their own breed. Of course there are the exceptions, but for the most part 90% of Midwesterners, especially women all look the same." -Jeremy Enke

Ummm, hello??? Where does this guy get his information from?? Has he been here lately? Has he ever been here? "Our own breed??" Come on!!! I find it interesting that the picture he chose of himself on his blog could easily say "I'm a pastor of a typical Midwestern church" (whatever that is) ...since he likes living through labels and stereotypes.

I admit that some of his pictures are funny. But honestly, I don't know a single person who looks this way....and what's wrong if I did. Maybe I am taking unnecessary offense to this. After all, states like Arkansas, Tennessee, West Virginia, Mississippi, even Texas, have been taking a ribbing for years (i.e. jokes about inner-familial marriages, women with big hair, incorrect use of the English language, etc.) Maybe it just "hurts" more, because it appears to be our turn.

I would link the site to you...but there are a few profanities on the blog. Don't want to promote that. So instead, I will show you a few of the photoshopped pics. Can you guess who they are???:







Post a Comment