Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Dish on "Dogwood"


I never intended for my blog to include book reviews...but because reading is such an important piece of who I am, I hope you don't mind if I share yet another opinion on a book I have just finished. A friend of mine, who just happens to be a librarian (Ohhh...how I wish I could be one!), recommended "Dogwood," the first novel by author Chris Fabry. I am familiar with Chris because my girls have adored the "Red Rock" series he co-wrote them with Jerry Jenkins. I have never authored a book myself, thus I have a "Who are you to say?" complex when it comes to saying anything negative about a book. But here goes.....

"Dogwood" has a very interesting "skeleton" when it comes to story "bones," but its character development is extremely confusing at first. I had finished at least 1/3 of the book before I could figure out "who" was "who." I would have preferred more insight to the characters personalities....I didn't feel like I really knew them very well. But the book had enough going for it, that I wanted to finish it. The ending was unexpected, which I always enjoy. However, "Dogwood" would not receive my ever famous "money back guarantee." It was too hard to follow.

Side note: Most people go to Amazon.com before they read a book, to make sure it is recommended by its readers. I wait until after I finish a book. I am too easily influenced by people's opinions, and I know I won't give the book a chance if I read anything negative about it. (Strange, I know.) Incidentally, "Dogwood" received very favorable reviews by its commentators. Only one felt the same way I did. So...what do I know???

Post a Comment