Monday, September 15, 2008

IKE whispered here......


Ike whispered very forcefully on Columbus, Ohio, last Sunday afternoon, and my girls have just returned to school for the first time today. Many of us have been without power for days....some may not even see it until late this weekend. Makes you appreciate the things you take for granted, like warm showers and a lamp to read by. The State of Ohio received extensive damage from Ike, seconded only to Texas. Life-long residents of the area have never seen anything like it. Four people died in Columbus as a result of Ike. And personally, I had no idea it was coming.

Although Ike will probably last in infamy here in Ohio, I can't imagine how it has impacted the lives of the people in Texas. So, Ohioians have been without electricity...so we have lost some trees in our yards. We received just a small sampling of the devastation that hit Texas last Friday. I think of my mom and my step-dad (affectionately known as G'pa Dan) who have been in San Antonio since last Thursday helping with the Red Cross. I think of the thousands of people there who desperately NEED....and those like the Red Cross who have the energy and means necessary to supply whatever they can. Maybe it is just a hug, or a warm meal, or a place to lay their heads.

I get tired of my nature of taking things for granted. Just when I think I have the attribute of thankfulness and gratitude "nailed," I am reminded how often I take things for granted....like my family, like my house, like my church, like my friends, like my God. Oh Father, please help me to remove myself from me. I can get so tired of me.

Post a Comment