Monday, February 25, 2008

Culturally irrelevant?


I am beginning to wonder if I am not "hip" anymore....which doesn't help my anxiety regarding approaching 40 next year. A couple of weeks ago the Grammy's were on. I didn't watch it. I heard that Tina Turner did a duet with Beyonce. I know who Tina Turner is, but what's Beyonce "got to do, got to do with it?" I don't know who Beyonce is. I couldn't tell you one song that she sings. I wouldn't recognize her if I passed her on the street. Am I becoming culturally irrelevant?




Last night, the Oscars were on. Again, I didn't watch it. I am not familiar with any of the movies that were up for Best Picture. The last movie I went to see was "Enchanted" with my girls and my step-mom Linda. I barely made it through the picture as I was coming down with the flu. The scenes with the pizza and the hot dogs nearly sent me running to the restroom. But the thought of getting sick in a movie theater restroom was too much for me. Oops! Digressing again!


Maybe it is ok to be culturally irrelevant. It seems God is ok with it, because He tells me to "be in the world, but not of the world." But I wonder who really watches this stuff, besides the people in the entertainment industry and the media, of course. Is there anyone outside the states of New York and California who care about the Grammy's and the Oscar's? Or is this the first sign of me "letting myself go" in my old age?

Post a Comment