Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cameron Interviews Hesterwoman on "Fireproof"


In effort to know exactly how the average "almost 40" year old, Christ-following woman, living in Midwestern suburbia, is receiving the movie "Fireproof," Kirk Cameron "contacts" the Hesterwoman for an interview. Although she doesn't fit the word "average" in any way, Cameron can't find anyone else who is willing to go through his scrutinizing questions. So without further ado, here is a snippet of the interview.

Cameron: What made you want to see my movie "Fireproof?"

Hesterwoman: Well...I just loved you in Growing Pains back in the 80's and wanted to see if you had aged as nicely as I have.

Cameron: Any time something has an inspirational or a faith-based message, people tend to thing it will be "hokey" or "second rate." Did you think that of "Fireproof" after seeing it?

Hesterwoman: In all honesty, not really. I thought it was excellent. There were just a few minor "hokey" parts, but I can easily overlook them. I thought it was stronger than "Facing the Giants" as a whole. I know the movie was meaningful to me, as its message continues to resonate days after I have seen it.

Cameron: How did you prepare for the role of seeing the movie?

Hesterwoman: Well, this was a "dinner and a movie" night for me and my husband, so I tried to look nice for him...put on a little "Bath and Body Works" Cherry Blossom Body Spray. It's not often that we get to go out together, so as you can see, I pulled out all the stops.

Cameron: Being happily married for so long, was it difficult to relate to the material?

Hesterwoman: Not at all. In all honesty, I found it difficult to handle at times. In fact, I could have easily "cried buckets" after seeing it, because it reminded me of a difficult season in my own marriage. And it made me feel so grateful to God for His ultimate gift of restoration and healing.

Cameron: Did you know I have a clause that I don't kiss other people than my wife in my movies? What do you think of that?

Hesterwoman: I think that is both wonderful and honorable. I never thought about the fact that you might need to kiss your on screen wife in the movie. I know that is crazy. I mean, after all, this is a movie about marriage. But I appreciate the message this sends to all of us.

Cameron: Being that you love books, I was wondering if you knew that "The Love Dare" is a real book. Do you plan on reading it?

Hesterwoman: I don't know. I hadn't thought about it before. Maybe I will talk to Gregg about it.

Cameron: I am hoping people will go see "Fireproof" because it's a great movie. I'm hoping at the end people will say, "I felt there were times when I felt like I was looking in a mirror." I hope they pick up a copy of the book, "The Love Dare," and start practicing the things in it. Anyone can pick it up and see a huge change (in their marriage). I believe that one person fully submitted to God and his Word can turn a marriage around. Have you found this to be true personally?


Hesterwoman
: From my own experience, I know that God is the God of Healing. He can take something that looks completely hopeless and make it so incredibly beautiful.

Cameron: Does it ever embarrass you to be transparent about the struggles you and Gregg have gone through?

Hesterwoman: I have moments of confidence with this, and then I have moments when I am uncomfortable with it. When I think of all the couples who might benefit from knowing there can be very REAL struggles in marriage and how God can bring genuine healing out of that, I want the world to know. However, when I allow the enemy to blast me with shame and lies, then I want to keep the reality of our story to myself. Would I like to be a woman who has never had serious issues in marriage? Yes...a million times..YES!!! But I am not. It is a part of my "God-story," and telling it brings Him honor and glory.

Cameron: Do you think only Christians would enjoy "Fireproof?" Is it too "religious?"

Hesterwoman: Not at all. I think this movie would resonate well with anyone who would see it. To me, it promotes excellent discussion afterwards between you and your spouse. And because your character Caleb, is not following Christ in the beginning of the movie, the writers did an excellent job of illustrating the battle one faces in trying to avoid the subject of God in their lives.

Cameron: Do you think it would ever be possible for me to outgrow "Growing Pains?" I mean, why do people always have to associate me with Mike Seaver?

Hesterwoman: Don't look at it as such a bad thing. I know you are trying to get away from the whole "shoulder pads, parachute pants, and mullet" look. But your time on Growing Pains may be one of the very reasons couples who grew up during the 80's might come and see the film. As a teen friend of mine always texts "Embrace the struggle," Kirk. Listen...I gotta go back to mothering and all. If there is anything more you need to know, call my agent.

Cameron: Thank you, Hesterwoman. Thank you for your time and more importantly, your insightful answers during this interview. It has been a "true" honor learning more about you. I am so moved that you thought so much of "Fireproof." Now I know all my efforts in making this movie were well worth it.

Look for "Fireproof" to come out on DVD early next year if you aren't able to get to the theaters...or don't live near one where it is showing.

Post a Comment