Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Is there hope for the Underdog?


It is not often that I make a chosen fool of myself and not feel embarrassed about it afterwards. But Saturday morning, as I watched Hopie play her 6th soccer game with her team sitting firmly in last place, I couldn't help but cheer like a crazy woman. I am sure strangers behind me, even friends for that matter, judged me as lunatic material. I didn't care. You see, my daughter's team was tied 3-3 with the "yellow" team. Certainly you have heard of the yellow team. The yellow team is made up of star quality players on it....in fact, many. They mauled our poor little team the last time we played them 10-1. It was one of those games when you just begged the sky to open and shower torrential rains upon the field to end their misery. It was so painful to watch. But this tied game, on the other hand, was such a joy...pay back if you will...that there was NO WAY ON EARTH I was going to "curb my enthusiasm."

I guess if I were completely honest with you, there was a part of me that wished I could push a pause button on the game and explain to the crowd (now watching me instead of the game) for just a few moments why I was so charged about this game. I have been occupying a lot of space in the Underdog category of life right now. There are many "games" that I go out to play, with team uniform and all, where I don't win. I have been in the loser's bracket for some time now, and it gets exhausting. I feel like I am losing at the game of trying to keep my daughter prepared for all of her academic challenges in 7th grade. I am leading my team to defeat when I can't keep all up with all I should be doing as wife, mother, friend, sister, daughter, etc. There are things in my life where I am "occupying" failing space, that I can only share with my husband. It is safe, because he can identify with them too. So, in explanation to the crowd around me, I would have had to scream at the top of my lungs, "THIS SOCCER GAME CHARGES ME UP....BECAUSE FOR ONCE, I AM WITNESSING THE UNDERDOG MAKING AN IMPACT. GO GREEN!!!! Now, watch the game instead of me, ya hear!!!!"

Someone who is feeling rightful "Underdog" status currently is John McCain. At this point in the election, when we are just 13 days out, things have taken a negative turn for him, and according to Drudge this morning, he is sitting 10 points down. If Obama doesn't win, I don't know what else he could have done differently. He's had Bruce Springsteen concerts, the View, Oprah, Colin Powell, millions upon millions in donated campaign money, a house in downtown Groveport with an enormous sign plastered to the front, kisses from archenemy Hillary Clinton, botox from Joe Biden, candle votives with pictures of him looking like Jesus, the "W" movie, his own cable channel....the list could go on and on. He is sitting very pretty right now. He may be sitting very pretty for the next 4 years, and this may be something I will have to get very used to. If Americans sympathize closely with how Tina Fey feels about having to play Sarah Palin for the next four years on SNL, Obama is a shoe in.

I know there have been a lot of football movies about being the underdog. There has even been a movie about Underdog being the underdog. Maybe John should spend a few moments during his down time on the campaign trail to catch a few of these flicks. Maybe this might energize him as the Election finish line is in clear view. If I could speak with John, I would ask him to fight for his political life like he did when he was a POW. I would want him to know that many are praying about this election....and are confident that God's Will will be done either way. That is coming from the lips of a true underdog. "There's no need to fear, Underdog is here."

Post a Comment