Wednesday, October 8, 2008

"Hard to put down" Guarantee


Several weeks ago, while dwelling in the Land of Polaris, I walked into the Lifeway Christian Bookstore, looking for the new Beth Moore "David" Journal I was getting ready to start. I had read in a flyer that it was on sale, and I am always interested in the words "On Sale." Now, I don't go into Lifeway very much. We don't have a great relationship. It almost consistently disappoints me. It rarely has the particular item I am looking for, and their employees' warm greetings are always followed up with a "We don't have that item, but we can order it for you." My internal response is usually "That's what Amazon is for," but for some reason I don't think that would be too Christ-like.

About the only good thing regarding Lifeway is the opportunity to peruse the New Book section. Although I do try to keep current on all the lastest and greatest, sometimes something new doesn't make my radar screen. So, with my handy dandy notebook (oh...remember that?? Blues Clues seems ages ago) ready to go, I copy down every book title that remotely seems interesting to me. Then I go home and check the library website to see if our library carries it. (Now, if I had an iphone...I could just check it right there.)

Very little grabs me at the bookstore. I am too picky I suppose. There is just so much saturation in the Historical Fiction-Amish Department. Ever notice that?? But I did find one that definitely piqued my curiosity. And I have enjoyed it ever since I got my hands on it. The book is entitled "The Almost True Story of Ryan Fischer" by Rob Stennett and it is absolutely hilarious. Here is how Publisher's Weekly puts it:


"Screenwriter Stennett offers a satirical look at a non-Christian's ascent to pastor of a megachurch in this engaging, highly readable novel. Ryan Fisher is a 28-year-old real estate agent who doesn't believe in God, but lists himself in the Christian Business Directory (along with a Jesus fish symbol) to beef up sales. He and his wife, Katherine, attend church to validate his new religious image, where he sees the possibilities of utilizing business principles to create his own megachurch. They move to Bartlesville, Okla., and create "The People's Church" where Ryan preaches a feel-good, do-good gospel ("I'm not encumbered by things like the Bible and Jesus"). As church numbers swell, Oprah calls, local pastors are on the warpath, a religious fanatic plots Ryan's assassination, and Katherine is smitten with Cowboy Jack, a karaoke singer-turned-worship leader who pens Christian lyrics to popular radio tunes. Is Ryan in over his head? Interesting narration and Dave Barryesque footnotes make this humorous entertainment with a faith-based message."


The genre of Satirical Christian Fiction is very small. I think a lot of people can't imagine putting those two concepts together. I wonder if that is why you never see any Christian comedy shows on TBN. (That comment is supposed to be my own attempt at satire. Can you tell?) Anyway, I haven't given the Hesterwoman "No-Money Back" guarantee since Riven by Jerry Jenkins. But this one receives my "You will laugh out loud when reading this" seal of approval. Let me know what you think.

Post a Comment