Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My boyfriend's back....


Sometimes the pressures of life, parenting, and overcommitment cause nostalgia to settle within me, and I yearn to simply be just Gregg's "girlfriend" again. In my mind, I recall a time when we were so focused on one another.... building our relationship together...dreaming about the future....there was very little that would get in the way of us spending time together. There was no one else but us. We were one dimensional, self-centered people. (This is not a positive thing...but somewhat expected during that season of life.) Our lives just hadn't become complex yet. Fast forward about 20 years and internally, I can sometimes feel the desire to revert back to that simplicity once and a while. This sentiment is most apparent when I am feeling our lives spinning out of control with busyness, or I am not feeling very successful in my parenting and want a break. Visions of date nights, weekend getaways, or simply just time spent alone can occupy my thoughts. It is an interesting undercurrent of need we feel as wives with children. I can tell when our calendar is overloaded with everything but time for just the two of us, and I crave some effortless time with my "boyfriend."

I am a complex being. I will admit that. In the past, I have shared with you how I dread my girls going away and becoming "empty nesters." That is very true. I have also shared with you how much I longed to make the transition from Gregg's girlfriend to wife, which is also very true. Both of these statements could somewhat nullify what I said above. They could also lead one to say, "MAKE UP YOUR MIND, WOMAN!!!" In my defense, I want you to know that I struggled with writing this today, because it is a little more revealing than I usually am. (Maybe you want to disagree. :) ) But I have a strong belief that someone out there can identify with what I am saying and there may be a resounding chorus of feminine "Amens" in the background. You just can't hear them.

So...male readers...now hear this! Bless (or shock...whichever word works best) your wife with an unexpected night out. Put the holey t-shirt from high school back in the drawer...find a shirt that is "hanger worthy," take a shower, put on some cologne, shave, and "WOW" her once again. I think it will be worth your effort, and it will be a wonderful atmosphere enhancer to the ambiance of your lives.

Female readers...can you identify with this at all? If so...don't sit and stew about it. Share it with your man. We all know good and well that our husbands aren't mind readers. We learned that in the 101 class. Honestly, he may also be feeling that way and long for some time with just you. And maybe....if you are really inspired, YOU could be the one to surprise HIM with a night out. Keep those home fires burning, my friends!!!!

Husband #1- The subject of this post is not a surprise to you. You know all this stuff already. In fact, I told you I was probably going to blog about it, and you had no problem with that. But, in your defense...and mine, of course....I didn't want my readers to think I was being hard on you. We both feel this way. We are just having trouble finding the time to sneak away. Gotta make it happen somehow. I love you, Sweetheart....holey t-shirt and all. :)

Post a Comment