Monday, May 12, 2008

The Day the Music Died


It may be the longest song ever played on the radio.....clocking in at a unprecedented 8 minutes and 30 seconds (easily topping Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody or Rare Earth's Get Ready). I remember being a little girl, driving around with my mom and dad, listening to its endless words, without any idea what they meant. Now some 35 years later, I still don't. And I doubt I ever will, because I am not sure I could stomach the song again. While planting my Mother's Day garden, the Hestergirls asked if they could listen to the ipod/speakers outside. Of course, with careful admonition not to leave it there after they went inside (something they are characteristically known for doing), Gregg and I reluctantly agreed. Unbeknownst to us, they put American Pie on repeat, and played it at least 5 times (that's 50 minutes) before we just couldn't take it anymore and begged them to change it...PLAY ANY SONG BUT THAT ONE!!!!!!!!

Hopie claims that I can't listen to a song more than once or I get sick of it. In my defense, I have to disagree. I can listen to a lot of songs more than one time, but not 50 minutes worth of one song. So now it is truly "Bye, bye Miss American Pie" for now. I once heard that they used the song to torture prisoners at Gitmo. Now, I can see how it worked so effectively.

Post a Comment