Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Weepy Woman

I have been a little weepy lately and I can't attribute it to any of the usual reasons women are typically emotional (i.e. pregnancy, PMS, lacking sleep, etc.). Today, after perusing what was left of Target's 75% off Christmas items, I was returning home in my "Momma Mobile" when an old Rod Stewart song began playing on the radio. (Not as old as Maggie May or You wear it well..... but still old, relatively speaking.) Now, Rod Stewart is not someone I have great respect for, or would even remotely want to emulate his parenting techniques (does he even have any kids?), but the words of this song tugged deeply at my heart strings. Instantly, visions of my girls at various stages of their 10 and 12 year old lives, began to flash through my mind like a slide show. And then the tears came.......


May the good Lord be with you
Down every road you roam
And may sunshine and happiness
Surround you when you're far from home
And may you grow to be proud
Dignified and true
And do unto others
As you'd have done to you
Be courageous and be brave
And in my heart you'll always stay
Forever young, forever young
Forever young, forever young

OH!!! Before I was a momma, this song meant nothing to me!!!!! In fact, I was in college when it came out. (See...that's why the song is not that old.) Look what motherhood has done to me!!!! As I continued to digest the words, I quickly checked the rear view mirror to make sure the mascara was still in tact. That is always a good sign. No raccoon eyes, or puffy eyelids. Gregg and I have always teased the girls that we will need to be brought in on stretchers, down the aisle, on their wedding day. After listening to this song today, it may be a strong possibility. Anyone know a place that will rent stretchers out just for the day? Say in 2030?

Post a Comment