Thursday, January 3, 2008

Get down on your knees and pray

It is not uncommon for us to often hear sirens where we live. Since moving here over 6 years ago, we have had at least 5 accidents at the corner of our road alone, one being fatal. We live just a stone's throw from a State Route, known for its twists, turns, and many accidents. So, when the sirens began this morning just before 7am, I didn't think much of it. I mentally made note of the fact that the roads were probably iced over, and someone was driving too fast for conditions. But the sirens kept coming, in 5 minute intervals, one right after another. I looked out my window to watch what seemed like the 6th fire truck go whizzing by. I tried to envision where a car accident of this magnitude, warranting this many fire trucks, might be. After the 8th set of sirens went by, I went into Faith's room, where I found her awake....drawing something while laying in bed. I asked her if she heard all the sirens, and I could tell she was concerned too.

We have tried to make it a practice to pray when we hear sirens. Sounds of sirens never mean anything good, unless you are at a parade. I think it is important to lift people up in prayer, especially during those times. ( I have been in an ambulance when I had Faith, and I am confident that someone was praying for me right then.) So, Faith and I prayed together for this unknown situation, and hoped it wasn't as bad as what we were envisioning. The Internet is an amazing tool, because within a half hour, we were able to learn what was happening just down the road from us. A house burned down completely, with a pregnant woman and her two children escaping safely. A man on his way to work noticed the flames, and began knocking on the door, trying to alert the people inside. What a heroic thing to do! Would I do the same?

I don't know this family at all, but I wish there was some way I could let them know they are on my heart, and I care about what happened to them. I am hopeful that in the midst of watching their home burn, they felt comforted by our Father....because that is what we were praying for.

Post a Comment