Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Book Nook


Ever find it challenging to find something "clean" for your kids to read when they're past the stage of early readers and picture books? (Wait a minute, I AM STILL in the stage of picture books! I love them!) Countless times, I have referred my girls back to books that I enjoyed as a kid. (Except, of course, for Judy Blume's "eye opener" Are you there God, it's me, Margaret? Remember that one?) A lot of books written today for kids are questionable to me, and I find it very difficult to find something that I am comfortable with and that they will enjoy.

This summer, however, I ran into a book by Jeanne Birdsall entitled "The Penderwicks" and I absolutely adored it, as did my girls. What a breath of fresh air!!! If I didn't look at the copyright, I would have "sworn" it was written 25 years ago, as it was THAT clean. Filled with quirky characters and interesting twists and turns, my girls couldn't help but embrace the book and have listened to it on CD as well. Friends that are homeschooling would welcome the book as something to do together, especially while summer is still fresh in our kids' minds.

Interestingly enough, this is Birdsall's first book. You will find it hard to believe as you read it. I was thrilled to discover that she has a sequel coming out to "The Penderwicks" next summer. CAN'T WAIT!!!!

More later from The Book Nook.......

Post a Comment