Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Pass the Cascade, please.

This post is dedicated to my friend, Kim, who ALWAYS gets a "kick" out of my hair. I can see her smiling now!

It is also dedicated to my friend Lisa, who makes me die in laughter when she uses the word "coiffure" in a sentence.

And lastly, this is dedicated to my friend Susan, who understands my pain when it comes to hair. Except that she is talented with a pair of scissors, and alas, I am not. (Thus the large VISA bill and complaints from Husband #1 on why his haircuts cost $8 and mine cost......)

I spend a lot of time getting ready in the morning. Too much, really. I don't have "low maintenance" hair, and I don't have a "wash and go" complexion. Being the Hestermomma takes a lot of intentionality, and even with all that work....there are no guarantees. "You get what you get," if you know what I mean.

I have been pondering the "God-given" hours of my day, and how I use them. If God has ordained me with just so many earthly days, what I am doing with them? Am I using them according to His will, or am I wasting time with things that don't matter beyond today? (Like my hair....oh no, please!! Anything but the hair!) I think approaching "40" will prompt those types of questions out of you. (Sorry. I know you are tired of hearing about my age. But seriously, even if God allows me 80 yrs, I am already 1/2 way done. Do the math!)

So, in doing some reading yesterday, (finally finished "Looking for God" by Nancy Ortberg ), I noticed she quoted words of Jesus that have never made my radar before.

First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean. Matthew 23:26

I really like this!! This is hitting home to me. It is just as important, if not more so, to work on the inside of me, than it is in maintaining the outside. The purity or cleanliness of my heart will reflect upon the outside of me as well. Probably a "no-brainer" for you....but for me, it was a "hair-raising" moment....in a good sense. Maybe if I work more on the inside, my hours with the flat-iron will be a thing of the past. Hmmm....I need to ponder that further. :)

Post a Comment