Thursday, October 11, 2007

This is........Jeopardy!!

I am not sure when it started exactly, but my family loves to watch Jeopardy together. As soon as dinner is over, plates are cleared and put into the dishwasher, we head into the family room to find our dear friend, Alex Trebeck, waiting impatiently for us. Alex is a strange sort of bird. If we weren't so close to him, spending several nights a week with him, we probably wouldn't like him so much. He is just such a "know it all," rattling off foreign words with instantaneous, yet authentic accents. And he doesn't let his personality shine, except during the 13.3 seconds he spends with each guest on any given night of the show. But you have to accept your friends for the way they are, I suppose. :)



Yesterday, I decided to purchase the TV version of Jeopardy for my family. We are always so bummed when our 30 minutes of Alex is over each night, so I thought it might be nice to prolong it with the new DVD game. My girls were so excited....you would have thought it was Christmas. We didn't get started unwrapping the game out of its package until 8:15pm. Both Faith and Hope were patiently waiting on the couch to play it. After 15 minutes of tugging and pulling at the packaging and still not making a dent, I noticed that Hopie had fallen asleep waiting for me to open the crazy thing. Around 8:45, I handed the package over to Gregg and uttered with frustration, "IT'S YOUR TURN." At 9pm, Faith called it quits and headed for bed, hoping to play it at some point during her lifetime.



The process of installing it was even worse than getting it out of the package. By 9:30pm, after much toil and a few potential swear words uttered under his breath, Gregg finally got the thing up and running. We looked around the room to notice it was just the two of us now. Both girls had understandably abandoned ship. So, with our friend Alex on the screen, begging us to partake, we decided to play against one another. I would like to tell you how the game brought us closer together as a couple, but it created some very competitive moments out of us. Snickering sounds came with every correct answer and daily double Gregg hit. He won, of course. But my fight is not over. I will soon be returning with my buzzer in hand, to take back my dignity. Plus, I had a little talk with Alex today, while Gregg was at work. I think he will see a very different game the next time we play. Somehow, the batteries will have disappeared out of his buzzer. I don't know how, but I have a feeling it might happen. :)

Post a Comment