Saturday, January 3, 2009

In my life....I loved me more



Above all the grace and the gifts
that Christ gives to his beloved
is that of overcoming self.

-Saint Francis of Assisi


Overcoming self. That is what I would like to make 2009. The year of overcoming self. Can you think of a more monumental task? Oh sure, Barack Obama has his work cut out for him when it comes to the economy, the war in Iraq, his abs, etc. But what if he added overcoming self to the list of things to accomplish in 2009? Our hearts would really go out to him then, no matter how we voted in November. We recognize how toilsome that can be. We are right there with him. It is at the very core of our struggles. Overcoming self is so easier said than done.

I love how simply John 3:30 puts it. "He must increase, and I must decrease." Seven simple words that are as clear and unmistakable as they are arduous and demanding. Why is this way of thinking...this way of living...this way of serving Christ so hard for us to grasp? Even if we intentionally want to live out our God-ordained days this way, we don't know exactly how to do it. Instead, we are so proficient at being ourselves. Nobody does "us" better. Being us is as easy as being on auto-pilot. No need to steer ourselves in another direction, we are soaring high on our own. Or are we? What gravely important God-opportunities are we missing out on, when we live in the land of self?

The facets of living for self are so complicated, aren't they? My deeply entrenched ways of living for self, and your ways probably look completely different, yet they have a common theme...me. Sometimes we can recognize each other's self-seeking tendencies long before we discern our own. We are pretty good at that. I wonder how willing we would be to ask those around us what they truly see those inclinations to be. It's a scary thought, isn't it? How much success have you had with that? Selfish inquiring minds want to know. :) Is it possible to hear the truth about ourselves and walk away unscathed? Deep thoughts for a Saturday morning, right? Whatever happened to just watching cartoons on Saturday mornings? Laughing at Bugs Bunny is much more pleasant than the topic of overcoming self. All agreed?

This is why I blogged earlier about challenging myself in 2009 to develop a heart for serving others instead of being so "all about me." I am excited to have a few of you joining me on this journey. How wonderful it will be it have that accountability!! There is room for more. Come aboard!! You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. (This is a New Year's Resolution that is all about gaining...while most others will challenge you to lose.)

I have a few irons in the fire next week in the area of serving that I am excited about. Simply meeting needs....how cool is that!!! Looking forward to hearing about your "irons" as well.

Post a Comment