Monday, November 12, 2007

How "comfortable" is God with my comfort?



I am getting ready to say "goodbye" tomorrow to one of my most valued "creature comforts." I have said "good-bye" to him so many times, I really should be able to do this without any emotion....without any hurt...but unfortunately, I still react much like a rookie. Probably always will. Lately, I have been thinking about how much I enjoy the "creature comforts" in my life....and I mean really enjoy them. Whether it be my husband, my girls, my relationships, a good book, a warm fire, money in the savings account, gas in my tank, sleeping cat on my bed, refrigerator full of food, hot shower in the morning, inbox full of "fresh" unopened emails from friends, a calendar of planned events....I cannot get enough of my
"beloved" comforts. Ahhhh, even listing them brings me comfort. :)



All this reflection on my comfort adoration gets me wondering just how "comfortable" is God with my comfort. How does He feel about the things I label as comforting to me? Are they gifts from Him, or could they sometimes be things that keep me from knowing TRUE COMFORT? I think Paul knew TRUE COMFORT....even with an uncomfortable "thorn in the flesh." The pain of the "thorn" was a purposeful vehicle in allowing him to experience the TRUE COMFORTER.


There are countless verses in the Bible that describe the TRUE COMFORTER. Too many to list here....but just by the sheer volume of its representation in the Bible, you know it is an important attribute of God:



He who comforts you- Isaiah 51:12

Comforts all who mourn- Isaiah 61:2

The Lord spoke kind and comforting words- Zechariah 1:13

Those who mourn will be comforted- Matthew 5:4

The Father of compassion and the God of all comfort- 2 Corinthians 1:3

Comforts us in all our troubles- 2 Corinthians 1:4

Comforts the downcast- 2 Corinthians 7:6


So, is it a bad thing that one of my most valued "creature comforts" is leaving? Yes.....and no. I NEED to be stretched, challenged, and abundantly loved on by God. And one of the ways that He gives that gift to me is by allowing me to "live" some earthly uncomfortableness. That way, I will be able to recognize TRUE COMFORT, when I experience it, when I feel it. I do believe God loves comfort, as long as that comfort comes from Him. And He uses different methods to bring that comfort to me. Sometimes it is in the form of my husband, my girls, my relationships, a good book, a warm fire, etc. But when I begin to place emphasis on the comforts themselves, instead of recognizing with Whom those comforts originated, then I am missing out on something very big.

So, for the next few weeks, I can honestly say, "God is taking me out of my comfort zone" (a little overused in some circles, my apologies :) ) and i know with confidence that I would much rather be dwelling in His COMFORT ZONE, than my own. That is how comfortable God is with my comfort.

Post a Comment